Kansas Legislative Research Department
Room 68-West, Kansas State Capitol
300 SW 10th Ave., Topeka KS 66612-1504
The Kansas Legislative Research Department (KLRD) is one of four nonpartisan agencies that provide support services for the Kansas Legislature. The Department has provided nonpartisan, objective research and fiscal analysis for the Kansas Legislature since 1934.
The Legislative Coordinating Council appoints a Director of Legislative Research, who oversees a staff of 43 employees, including research and fiscal analysts, IT and administrative services support, and legislative fellows and interns. Analysts specialize in policy areas like state budget; health and social services; commerce, labor, economic development; and others.
- Vacation: No limit on the amount of hours of accumulation.
- Comp Time: Additional days of comp time may be awarded to KLRD employees following Session, to be used before the end of that year.
- Computer Equipment: Use of a state-issued portable laptop with the ability to use VPN from home, and the choice of a state-issued smartphone or reimbursement of your personal communication device.
- Teleworking: Analysts may choose to work from home up to three days a week during the interim (at the approval of your supervisor and Director).
- Flex-time: Flex-time is available June–December (with approval).
- Infant at Work: Infants up to 6 mos. may be brought to the work place during the interim.
- Garage Parking: Available to KLRD employees at no cost.
- Each employee is provided a $250 professional development budget every fiscal year.
State of Kansas Benefits
- Group Health Insurance – medical/dental/vision/prescription drug
- Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account
- KPERS Retirement, KPERS 457 Plan (optional)
- Learning Quest 529 Savings Plan for postsecondary education savings
- Basic term life insurance included; optional group life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Workers’ compensation
- Further information on State of Kansas benefits provided here
Vacation and Leave Plans
- Vacation Leave – Employees begin to accrue 3.7 hours per bi-weekly period (accrual rates increase after 5, 10, and 15 years)
- Sick Leave – Eligible employees accrue 3.7 hours per bi-weekly period
- Holiday Leave – 9 paid holidays per year
- Discretionary Day – 1 day per calendar year
- Funeral Leave – Up to 6 days
- Shared Leave – Donated leave to be used for serious illness or injury
- Jury Duty – Eligible employees are provided leave with pay
- Military Leave – Up to 15 days each year, Oct. 1–Sept. 30
- Parental Leave – Up to 8 weeks for primary caregivers, 4 weeks for secondary caregivers
How to Claim Veterans’ Preference
Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a “veteran”; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Learn more about claiming Veteran’s Preference. »
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the agency recruiter.
A note from the Director
Legislative Research is a place where professionals do exemplary work. With careful planning and thorough editing, our fiscal and policy research helps the Legislature make informed decisions for Kansans. I hope you’ll join us in the Capitol.
J.G. Scott, Director
You must be logged in to post a comment.